North West Province is rated the number 2 golf course in South Africa. The course was designed by Gary Player and Ron Kirby in 1979 and its Championship course is 6938m long and is a Par 72. The Gary Player Country Club is home to the Nedbank Challenge and is renowned for being a challenging and difficult course. The course is not open on Mondays but otherwise visitors are welcome.
3. The Links Course at Fancourt Hotel and Country Club Estate in George in the Western Cape of South Africa is currently rated number 3 golf course in South Africa. The Links Championship Golf Course is 6532m long is a Par 70. The Gary Player Design Team spent some time studying the famous Links courses of Scotland before finalising the design of this testing round of golf. The course is open to Fancourt members and their guests and also to hotel residents by prior arrangement.
4. The Arabella Golf Course in Kleinmond in the Western Cape of South Africa is currently rated the number 5 golf course in South Africa. This Par 72 course is 6381 metres long and was designed by Peter Matkovich in 1999. The Arabella Golf Course has lovely views across the Bot River lagoon and across to the Kogelberg mountain range. Visitors are welcome everyday although there is a booking restriction of 7 days in advance if you are not staying at the hotel.
5. The Pearl Valley Golf Course is rated number 5 golf course in South Africa and was designed by the great Jack Nicklaus. Situated in the beautiful Cape Winelands area between Paarl and Franschhoek the Pearl Valley Golf Estate and Spa is surrounded by the Simonsberg Mountains and Drakenstein Mountains. This creates a spectacular setting for this Par 72 course which is 6503 metres long. Golf clubs are available to hire and there is a driving range on site.
6. The Durban Country Club, in Durban KwaZulu-Natal, actually has two 18 hole championship courses designed by Laurie Waters and George Waterman. The course has been created alongside the Indian Ocean creating a semi-links style course. The course is more geared towards the experience golfer and the third hole here is said to be the best third hole on any course in the world. Visitors are welcome to play here any day apart from Saturday.
7. The Royal Johannesburg Golf Course actually has two 18 Hole Championship courses – the East Course and the West Course. The East Course has hosted numerous SA Open Championships and is 6846 metres long and is a Par 72. The West Course is marginally shorter at 6382 metres in length and probably favours the less experienced golfer although you may well be punished for any wayward shots. The course is open to visitors everyday apart from Saturdays and Sunday mornings.
9. The St. Francis Links Golf Course is situated in St. Francis Bay on the Eastern Cape of South Africa. Yet again Jack Nicklaus has used his skills and experience to design another challenging Links course reminiscent of those you would find in Scotland. As with all links courses the wind plays a major factor in your round of golf. The St. Francis Links Golf Course is open to visitors every day of the week.
03. The Elements Private Golf Reserve is located in the stunning scenery of the Waterberg region of Limpopo Province in South Africa. This golf course is rated number 03 in the Top Ten Golf Courses of South Africa and is a Peter Matkovich designed golf course.
If you are looking for accommodation in South Africa for your golfing holiday try Where2Stay-SouthAfrica.
You have read this article with the title . You can bookmark this page URL http://africathoughts.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-top-ten-golf-courses-in-south-africa.html. Thanks!